Thursday, September 07, 2006

Developing WCF without Orcas CTP

For various reasons I installed the .NET 3.0 RC1 Runtime/SDK as soon as they were available. This meant that I didn't have a CTP of Orcas to go with it. As I currently don't have any WPF stuff to do I figured I'd manage just as fine without it.

However, when I started a new project using WCF it got interesting, I could build already made WCF projects, but System.ServiceModel (and System.Runtime.Serialization for that matter) was nowhere to be found in the Add reference... dialog.

As I also do fiddle around with msbuild stuff I figured that I could work around this quite easily by firing up the project xml file (right-click the project, choose Unload project, right-click the unloaded project, choose Edit .csproj, Edit away..., then right-click project, Reload project)

and add the missing reference to the project by hand

<Reference Include="System.ServiceModel" />

Still, I thought it was kinda funny that the workaround was needed.


EDIT: This is not an issue anymore since Orcas CTP for RC1 has been released.

No comments: